
This is Robin Lasser's Precarious/Precious. This piece really spoke out to me when I first saw it, because it is reaching the masses. It spreads the word of how important and PRECIOUS our environment is, while not making an actual impact on the land. To create it, Lasser planted "California Poppy seeds in the letters PRECIOUS and Crimson Clover within the letters AR., hoping that a Spring bloom would reveal the word PRECIOUS within PRECARIOUS". However, it is a little tough to see unless you know what to look for. The meaning of this piece is tremendous : "The full word, PRECARIOUS is visible in May, but this time the word PRECIOUS stands out emphasizing that our natural resources and environment are Precious and in Precarious balance." I really thought that this piece almost defined earth art to me, as it symbolizes the dangerous balance that our earth has in conjunction with the way man interacts with it. As a result of this piece, I have decided that I wanted to do something a little like it. Today, I will go out and create a piece of earth art that means to me what this piece does.

3 comments:
I never really knew the idea behind this piece until I read your post and the meaning is a lot deeper than I would have ever dreamt. I'm anxious to see what kind of ideas you come up with for your final project and the impact that you leave on the earth!
Wow I was actually wondering what the artist meant by this word when we saw it in class... I had no idea there was another word within it. This could be a really cool project. Looking forward to seeing it!
When we saw this in class I thought it was so neat and I really liked the piece. I am very excited to see your project! I hope it turns out well.
Post a Comment